Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Here Comes the Police State: New Laws Aim for Brutal Crackdown on Protest February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072842'; Click here for reuse options! Many bills advancing at state level along with executive orders are part of Trump "law and order." The rise of right-wing populism in the United States—from the White House to state legislatures—has been met with public resistance on a stunning s […]
- Americans Like Alec Baldwin's Trump Better Than the Real Thing: Poll February 23, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072775'; Click here for reuse options! Who can blame them? Donald Trump hates Alec Baldwin’s impression of him. That puts Donald Trump in the minority.According to a new poll from Morning Consult, a majority of Americans, 52 percent of adults, say they’ve enjoyed watching Baldwin parody—though […]
- ICE Reopening Shuttered Private Prisons and Adding Beds at County Jails to Expand Deportation Machinery February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072807'; Click here for reuse options! ICE reopens the private prisons that Obama’s Justice Department ordered closed. In the netherworld that is the nation’s prison system, news this week that inmate populations have decreased across America is hiding a grim and opposing reality: that federal […]
- Your Taxes Are Funding a Secret, Multibillion-Dollar Government Enterprise That Tortures and Kills Tens of Millions of Animals Every Year February 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072571'; Click here for reuse options! Even puppies are subjected to a wide range of torture, including forced heart attacks. Finally, Congress is seeking answers. Last week—following criticism from bipartisan Congress members, citizens, press, and advocacy groups like the White Coat Waste Proj […]
- Forget About 'Reaching out' to Trump Voters, Democrats—That's a Pointless, Self-Destructive Strategy February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072840'; Click here for reuse options! Is liberal outrage driving away the "deplorables"? Too bad. To win, we need righteous anger, not compromise. I am generally reluctant to wade into the interminable internecine Democratic Party battles. My focus at the moment is on trying to docum […]
- 11 Principles for Understanding and Dealing With the Deep State February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072830'; Click here for reuse options! Guidelines for progressives when they hear about (or talk about) Trump and Russia. Putin’s an oligarch. So is Trump.Putin runs a kleptocracy. So does Trump.Both Donald Trump and Rex Tillerson have done business in Russia.So why is money the one aspect of t […]
- CPAC Had to Scramble to Control Damage After Attendees Waved Russian Flags During Trump Speech February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072866'; Click here for reuse options! In addition to the attendees waving Russian flags, journalist Sarah Posner reports at least one attendee was spotted wearing a “Make Russia Great Again” t-shirt. Staffers at CPAC quickly scrambled to confiscate Russian flags with the word “TRUMP” written o […]
- GOP Congressman Warns of Mexican Marijuana Nukes February 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072724'; Click here for reuse options! And it wasn't even Louie Gohmert or Steve King. An Arizona Republican congressman has defended the notion of building a border wall by claiming it could prevent a nuclear weapon being smuggled into the United States concealed in a bale of marijuana.Re […]
- White House Bars Spate of Outlets from Press Briefing February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072865'; Click here for reuse options! The New York Times, Los Angeles Times and several others were all denied access. The Trump administration continued its steep descent into authoritarianism Friday as several news outlets, including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Politico and Bu […]
- Bannon Makes Stunning Threat to Media: We're Going to Make It Worse for You Every Day February 24, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1072863'; Click here for reuse options! Bannon doesn't want to change the media. He wants to totally dismantle the media. On Thursday, during the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon shockingly admitted Donald Trump’s goal (Bannon’s goal […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Kansas Man Faces Possible Hate Crime Charges For Killing Indian ImmigrantWitnesses say that Adam Purinton told Srinivas Kuchibhotla to "get out of my country" before shooting at him in a Kansas bar.
- READ: Muslim White House Staffer on Why She Quit Eight Days Into the Trump Administration“I knew I could no longer stay and work for an administration that saw me and people like me not as fellow citizens, but as a threat.”
- Congress Investigates How FEMA Handled Louisiana's Historic Flooding Last YearThe House Oversight and Government Reform Committee issued a letter to the federal agency demanding documents.
- DOJ Reverses Ban on Private Prisons, Stocks SpikeThis is despite a report that concluded that privately-run federal facilities are not safe, secure or even cost efficient.
- 'Get Out' Makes Fictional Horror Out of Real RacismJordan Peele's feature directorial debut, which he said was inspired by Obama-era myths of a "post-racial" society, depicts a Black man's ill-fated visit with the parents of his White girlfriend.
- Tribal Chairman Responds to White House After 46 Arrested During DAPL Camp EvacuationThe Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is contradicting the administration's claims that it was in contact with them during the militarized raid.
- Charleston Activist Freed After Arrest for Knocking Down Confederate FlagVideo shows Muhiyidin Elamin Moye, a member of a Charleston, South Carolina-based Black Lives Matter group, jumping through police tape to grab South Carolina Secessionist Party leader James Bessenger's Confederate flag.
- ACLU Sues City of Milwaukee for Racist Stop and Frisk Policy“Data reflect that...Black drivers citywide were seven times more likely—and that Hispanic drivers were five times more likely—to be targeted for a traffic stop than white drivers.”