Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- .@nytimes .@anahadoconnor mischaracterizes & misquotes USDA report to ostracize SNAP beneficiaries. jacobinmag.com/2017/01/food-s… 5 days ago
- Made the best oxtail stew today using a variation of the #NYTCooking recipe! .@nytimes comes through again. cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101346… 6 days ago
- So proud that my .@RepYvetteClarke is standing up to racism & bigotry by boycotting #Inauguration2017. Good job repping .@Brooklyn! 1 week ago
- .@opalayo on this week's .@BAJItweet blog:"We are stronger than they want us to think we are." Check it out here: blackalliance.org/blog_tometi_or… 1 week ago
- DC friends: Help .@BAJItweet find a new Policy Manager! Learn more at idealist.org/view/job/d83HM… 1 week ago
- In Trump's America, 'Felony Riot' Charges Against Inauguration Protesters Signal Dangerous Wave of Repression January 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070934'; Click here for reuse options! More than 200 people mass arrested in Washington, D.C. facing up to 10 years in jail. More than 200 people who were mass-arrested at the Washington, D.C. protests against the inauguration of Donald Trump have been hit with felony riot charges that are puni […]
- Millions Across the Planet Unite to Rebuke Donald Trump January 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070921'; Click here for reuse options! Nothing like this has ever happened to an American president—or any world leader for that matter. On Saturday, the day after his inauguration, millions of people across all seven continents marched in protest of Donald Trump, the least popular American pre […]
- For Two Days Straight, Love Trumped Hate January 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070929'; Click here for reuse options! A vastly divided America showed its true colors. President Trump's inauguration was supposed to be a soft, sensual day. That couldn't have been further from how it played out.Trump supporters were met head-on with protesters, many of whom had pla […]
- Donald Trump Poses a Never-Before-Seen Threat in American History January 21, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070912'; Click here for reuse options! We've had demagogues before but never in the Oval Office. The resistance begins now. I have watched, listened to, and read many commentaries on the inaugural address but so far none of the mainstream pundits have used the one word that best identifies […]
- Middle East Derangement Syndrome: Egypt, Turkey and Israel Have All Fallen Prey to Delusions About Trump January 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070946'; Click here for reuse options! Leaders in the region's major powers are ecstatic about President Trump. They're likely to be disappointed. At about 3:30 a.m. on Nov. 9, Donald Trump received his first congratulatory phone call as president-elect. It came from Egypt’s president […]
- The Women's March Heralds a Renaissance of Resistance January 21, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070909'; Click here for reuse options! Saturday's protests are about transforming our fear and sorrow into power and imagination. Donald Trump is giving women nightmares. Many of them have reached out to me to say they are being seized by flashbacks of trauma and rape. They blame Trump’s r […]
- Trump's Inauguration Crowd: Sean Spicer's Claims Versus the Evidence January 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070936'; Click here for reuse options! White House press secretary’s angry declaration that the media faked low attendance does not stack up against photos, videos and public transport figures. Photographs of the National Mall in Washington DC and public transport figures for the city cast seri […]
- Protesters Bring Their Very Best Placard Game to the Women's March January 21, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070910'; Click here for reuse options! The most inspired and inspiring offerings from demonstrations in New York, Los Angeles and beyond. While Donald Trump offered a gnarled olive branch to the intelligence community at Langley, millions of women (and men) descended on cities across the globe […]
- Congratulations, America! You've Elected an Actual Fascist President January 21, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070913'; Click here for reuse options! It finally happened here—but there's still time to save the best of our country. America’s increasingly abnormal politics have now surrendered to dystopia.Donald Trump, a serial liar, narcissist, failed businessman, political con artist, adulterer, pr […]
- The Psychological Condition that Best Explains Donald Trump's Twisted Worldview January 21, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1070805'; Click here for reuse options! Think of our president as a hoarder. But instead of objects, he collects victories and vendettas. Trump’s ghostwriter put these words in the president’s mouth. "Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitemen […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- How Your Faves Really Feel About the #InaugurationThe Obamas' departure from the White House and Donald Trump's first day as president compelled many entertainers of color to speak their minds on social media. They didn't hold back.
- One Democrat's No Nonsense Response to Trump's InaugurationRep. Nydia Velázquez (D-NY) had only one thing to say.
- [VIDEO] Muslim Women on What Comes Next in Trump's America“It’s so important to me that I translate my emotions into action.”
- ACLU Kicks Off 7-Point Plan to Fight Trump Administration, Protect Civil LibertiesThe organization also filed requests with several government agencies, demanding documents regarding Trump's possible conflicts of interest.
- [VIDEO] Million Hoodies for Justice Has an Inauguration Day Message for the Anxious MassesToday the youth leaders are talking to you, not President Trump.
- The Inauguration Protests in 11 TweetsFrom Black Lives Matter to #NoDAPL, activists are out in full force in Washington, D.C.
- Hundreds of Women Disrupted D.C. Offices to Challenge White House Cabinet The group included veterans, Indigenous women, climate justice activists, women of color and their allies.
- WATCH: Latinx People Respond to Trump's First DayLatinxs, many of whom feel particularly vulnerable under the new political regime, share their feelings about the incoming Trump Administration.