Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- #stateofblackimms https://t.co/pmjVypUMvK 17 hours ago
- I just published “New Report Shows that Despite Advances, Black Immigrants Still Suffer Racial Disparities” medium.com/p/new-report-s… 19 hours ago
- Today @BAJItweet released the biggest report on Black immigrants in the U.S. ever! Its very big! Read here: stateofblackimmigrants.com 19 hours ago
- @BAJItweet Counting down to #stateofblackimms release. T minus 9 hours! So exciting! 1 day ago
- @AfricansUS @blackimmnetwork @BAJItweet Glad TPS was renewed, but conditions in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone are not peachy. Onwards! 1 week ago
- The End of White Christian America and Trump's Desperate Promises to Save It September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064434'; Click here for reuse options! As Robert P. Jones shows in his illuminating new book, white Christians in America are in decline in numbers and influence, as many are both desperate and nostalgic for the past. Robert P. Jones (or Robby, as most of his friends and colleagues call him) is […]
- How to Hack 3 Sexist Things Every Woman Has Heard in the Office September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064447'; Click here for reuse options! Here's how to combat untrue assumptions about female bosses made by other men or women—or even ourselves. The following is an excerpt from the new book Feminist Fight Club: An Office Survival Manual (For a Sexist Workplace) by Jessica Bennett (Harper […]
- How Trump Would Loot the Country September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064561'; Click here for reuse options! Imagine how—once Donald Trump is in the Oval Office—this country could become his personal piggy bank. Imagine for a moment that it’s January 2009. Bernie Madoff, America’s poster-child fraudster, has yet to be caught. The 2007-2008 financial crisis never […]
- We Now Have Plenty of Evidence That Gary Johnson Is a Fake Alternative September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064591'; Click here for reuse options! The Libertarian nominee can't name a foreign leader but has a dangerous agenda and can tip the election. As we hit the final stretch of the most incredible presidential campaign in modern memory, it appears that third-party candidates may end up being […]
- 10 Times Police Killed the People They Were Called to Save September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064569'; Click here for reuse options! Alfred Olango's tragic death Tuesday was proceeded by a 911 call from his sister. In San Diego, California, a mentally ill, unarmed black man died late Tuesday night at the hands of the police. His name was Alfred Olango, 30. Before his tragic death, […]
- Presidential Debates: Where Millionaires Ask Other Millionaires What's Best for the Middle Class September 28, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064502'; Click here for reuse options! For all the talk about the middle class Monday night, members of the non-elite were hard to find. For all the talk by candidates and the media about what’s best for the middle class, a disheartening—albeit unsurprising—aspect of our democracy was on full d […]
- How the New Atheist Movement Blew a Big Opportunity to Bring Acceptance to Non-Believers September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064567'; Click here for reuse options! Notables like Richard Dawkins and Stephen Hawking are arguing not just for atheism, but against religion. In the mid-2000s, the clash between the forces of religion and the forces of secularism could not have been clearer. George W. Bush had just won reele […]
- Jay Z and Snoop Dogg Do Powerful Videos Slamming Drug War September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064577'; Click here for reuse options! Using their influence to deal a blow to our country’s racist drug war. For years hip-hop artists have rapped about drug use, the drug trade and the drug war. And now, we are seeing some of the biggest stars use their influence to deal a blow to our country […]
- How Hillary Can Boost Her Standing Among Millennials September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064435'; Click here for reuse options! Hillary Clinton’s support from millennial voters has dropped sharply since August, a problem that she needs to address even more aggressively to hold onto this key bloc of voters. Hillary Clinton has long struggled with younger voters, but the problem now […]
- 9 States That Could Be on the Verge of Legal Weed September 29, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1064578'; Click here for reuse options! This year's elections will be the closest thing we've ever seen to a national referendum on pot policy. More than 82 million U.S. residents will have the chance to cast ballots on marijuana measures when they go to vote for president come Elect […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- After Release of Arrest Video, Ramarley Graham's Family Files FOIL Request to Uncover TruthGraham's family and supporters say that the video, which shows a paramedic putting a sheet over Graham's face, indicates that he didn't die in the hospital where police officials said he died.
- Solange Knowles Releases 112-Page Digital Ode to Black Beauty Ahead of New AlbumThe book features photos and lyrics to accompany her album, "A Seat at the Table," which drops tomorrow.
- Congress Approves Funding for Zika and Louisiana FloodsThe bill only needs the president's signature, but it's still missing funding for the #FlintWaterCrisis.
- WATCH: Vic Mensa, Darnell L. Moore, Baratunde Thurston Talk Policing and RacismSpotify, Mic and HeadCount launched "Clarify"—a new series where Thurston discusses important electoral issues with public figures—earlier this month. Watch his discussion with Mensa, Moore and reformist NYPD officer Edwin Raymond on policing and its impact on Black communities.
- 3 Inspiring Excerpts from New Danielle Brooks Interview on Black Body PositivityThe “Orange is the New Black” and “The Color Purple” star is all about loving her body—and yours, too.
- New Report Sheds Light on Fossil Fuel Industry's Effect on Latinx CommunitiesHigh asthma, low insurance rates and close proximity to oil and gas facilities make for a dangerous combination.
- Facing Race Leaders on Changing Media and Changing LivesThree changemakers give Colorlines a preview of how they're using media to shift racial narratives in pop culture.
- Trayvon Martin Memoir to Hit Shelves in JanuaryMartin's parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, wrote "Rest In Power: The Enduring Life of Trayvon Martin" to explore their child's life—and death.