Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- @politico I support transparency, but what greater good does leaking personal data, like thousands of SS#'s, serve? twitter.com/politico/statu… 4 hours ago
- RT @domesticworkers: #60Cents for every $1 made by white men isn't enough! Today 2-3 pm ET speak out for #BlackWomensEqualPay! https://t.co… 2 days ago
- RT @nwlc: Black women and their work matter. It's time for #BlackWomensEqualPay https://t.co/5LBH2E6JbX 2 days ago
- This is a great example of what states can do to address mass criminalization & immigrant deportations. twitter.com/PolicingWatch/… 2 days ago
- @BAJItweet okayafrica.com/sports/too-bla… 2 days ago
- Lakoff: Pay Close Attention—Trump Means Exactly What He Says August 25, 2016Trump is swaying millions with his calculated rhetoric. Editor's note: This analysis is a followup to Lakoff's previous piece, Understanding Trump, www.georgelakoff.com/blog.Responsible reporters in the media normally transcribe political speeches so that they can accurately report them. But Donald Trump’s discourse style has stumped a number of re […]
- Why Mylan's Alleged Solution to Its EpiPen Price-Gouging Scandal Is a Scam August 25, 2016The only solution for expanding access to the life-saving EpiPen is to reduce the price. The pharmaceutical giant Mylan has a public uproar on its hands over its 500 percent price increase for a life-saving device known as EpiPen, which delivers emergency shots of the hormone epinephrine to treat potentially deadly anaphylaxis.In response to the Martin Shkre […]
- In Search of Christine Chubbuck: The Mystery of TV's First On-Air Suicide August 25, 2016Documentary meets thriller in a fascinating inquiry into the Sarasota newswoman who shot herself on air in 1974. At its most basic level, “Kate Plays Christine” is a film about an actress who is struggling to develop a character. It’s a documentary, in the sense that for most of the film actress Kate Lyn Sheil appears as herself, trying on wigs and costumes, […]
- 7 Revelations: The Real Inside Scoop on Jared Kushner, aka Mr. Ivanka Trump August 23, 2016Like father and father-in-law, like son. A member of Donald Trump's inner circle by virtue of being his daughter's husband, Jared Kushner, the wealthy son of a New Jersey real state mogul, has managed to fly somewhat under the radar until recently. But last week, both the New Yorker and Esquire magazine published not terribly flattering profiles of […]
- Mylan CEO Heather Bresch Disastrously Defends EpiPen Price Hike and Her Own $16M Pay Raise August 25, 2016The PR disaster created by Mylan Pharma's price hike continues. Mylan Pharmaceuticals CEO Heather Bresch appeared on CNBC Thursday morning in an effort to mitigate the controversy sparked by the company's decision to exponentially increase the price of the life-saving EpiPen drug.When asked if she understands the bipartisan outrage brought on by th […]
- Trump Spokesperson Katrina Pierson Reveals the Secret of Understanding Trump—Ignore the Words August 25, 2016Donald Trump is now able to communicate with followers using pure dog whistle. Donald Trump’s new immigration policy may may seem confusing but that’s because you haven’t adopted the Katrina Pierson Zen of Trump. Katrinia Pierson on CNN just said Trump hasn't "changed his position on immigration, he's just changed the words he's saying. […]
- Real Washington Corruption? Not Hillary's Latest Emails, but Bush-Cheney Ties to Iraq's Wartime Profiteers August 24, 2016Right-wingers upset with Bono conveniently forget about the Carlyle Group and Halliburton. The latest flurry of right-wing consternation over Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while Secretary of State has crossed over into the ludicrous.Perhaps it’s inevitable that in a year dominated by Donald Trump’s excess the Wall Street Journal’s editorial […]
- Rush Limbaugh and Other Right-Wingers Are Terrified of Lesbian Farmers August 25, 2016The conspiracy kooks are convinced there is a government plot to "gay-ify" rural America. Serious question: Do right-wingers hold some big, secret contest every month where they compete with each other to come up with the most batshit conspiracy theory? My money’s on yes, considering the newest insanely ridiculous, untrue and unbelievable thing the […]
- They Want to Destroy Leslie Jones: Harassment Targeting 'Ghostbusters' Star Exposes the Ugliness Driving the New Right August 24, 2016The attacks against Jones lay bare the resentments fueling what is euphemistically known as the "alt-right." Even for someone who has been researching and writing about misogyny for over a decade, it is hard to comprehend the level of obsessive hate that had to go into the attack on actress Leslie Jones. The 48-year-old comedian and actress became […]
- Sanders Launches 'Our Revolution,' Dedicated to a Progressive Agenda and Better Democratic Party August 25, 2016Reminds supporters of all they accomplished and the work ahead. Bernie Sanders’ revolution seeking a kinder, fairer, more egalitarian and dignified America will continue, working to elect progressive candidates, introducing nationally significant state ballot measures and pushing the Democratic Party to abide by its recently adopted platform, the ex-presiden […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- University of Chicago Tells Incoming Students Not to Expect 'Safe Spaces' or 'Trigger Warnings'Dean of Students John Ellison: "The members of our community must have the freedom to espouse and explore a wide range of ideas."
- ICYMI: Purvi Patel Could Be Released From Prison SoonIndiana officials opted not to challenge the Court of Appeals’s decision to vacate her conviction for feticide.
- City in Iowa Gave Black Teen Hush Money After Police AssaultA new report says Waterloo officials gave Malcolm Anderson an additional $5,000, on top of his $95,000 settlement, to not speak to media or civil rights groups.
- Harry Belafonte, Penn State Alums Stand By Nate Parker"It's interesting because it's coming out the same time the film's coming out," said Belafonte of the renewed attention to Parker and Jean Celestin's 1999 rape trial.
- ICYMI: Climate Change Is Seriously Impacting the Financial Future of MillennialsPer usual, Black and Latinx people will be hit even worse in their wallets.
- Dallas Shooter Micah Johnson Had PTSD SymptomsThe Army vet complained of panic attacks, nightmares and hallucinations.
- WATCH: New Trailer for Restored Version of Julie Dash's Seminal 'Daughters of the Dust'The 1991 film is cited as an inspiration for Beyoncé's visual album "Lemonade."
- Lawsuit Against EPA Demands Better Protection from Lead PaintEight groups site the agency for its lack of attention to a crisis affecting an estimated 37.1 million homes.