Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- "Federal action is needed to ensure that people with criminal convictions are not walled off from the job market." nytimes.com/2015/02/28/opi… 3 weeks ago
- The constitution could indeed use some updating.. aeon.co/magazine/socie… 1 month ago
- Let 2015 be the year of razor sharp focus, aimed at the stars. 3 months ago
- "Everybody here's been someone else before....Welcome to New York." Who were you in a past life? #TaylorSwiftlifelessons. 3 months ago
- The shocking truth is thousands of workers still rely on public assistance. But this is particularly egregious. salon.com/2014/09/21/pro… 6 months ago
- Why on Earth Did the Feds Approve a High-Pressure Gas Pipeline Near a Nuke Plant? March 27, 2015Nuclear safety expert: "We're talking tens of millions of people who could be endangered." A gas explosion leveled two buildings in New York’s East Village this past week, with two neighboring structures damaged, one still at risk for collapse, and 22 people injured, four of them severely. The fire raged from early afternoon into the next morn […]
- 7 of the Biggest Quacks and Scam Artists in Medical History March 27, 2015Some of these charlatans may have even believed their own preposterous theories. Mike Huckabee, former Fox News talking head and possible presidential contender again, recently came under considerable fire for being the spokesman for a dubious “cure” for diabetes, a disease that affects 29 million Americans and is the seventh leading cause of death in the U. […]
- Terrifying: Why Are People in Kazakhstan Falling Asleep for Days? March 28, 2015The mysterious sleeping sickness comes with significant memory loss. Hundreds of residents of Kalachi, a small town near a former Soviet Union uranium mine in Kazakhstan, have been suffering from a mysterious sleeping sickness that causes them to fall asleep for two to six days and wake up with significant memory loss.While the eerie sickness was first repor […]
- Why a Gay Man Like Me Is Going to Make It Hard for Indiana Shopkeepers to Exercise Their 'Religious Liberty' March 28, 2015Am I responsible for their damnation if I let'em serve me without mentioning that I'm gay and they don't guess it? The following is not snark. It's an honest and practical inquiry: How will merchants in Indiana determine which customers can now be refused service under the state's new "religious liberty" law? Take sexual id […]
- Fear Is the Biggest Threat to Our Democracy March 27, 2015Join us in our fight against the pernicious culture of fear and creeping authoritarianism. Dear Readers, Fear is a huge problem in the United States, and it’s only getting worse as our society frequently smells of creeping authoritarianism. All of us experience the consequences of living in fear-based society, we see it when people don't stand up for th […]
- Is Your Memory Shaky? Might Not Be Your Age, But All That Sugar Ruining Your Liver March 27, 2015A quarter of the U.S. population suffers from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease caused by dietary sugar. We know foods like donuts and soda can make you fat, but the effects of sugar on the liver and brain are less well-known. Dietary sugar can fry your liver in much the same way alcohol can. This in turn can hurt your brain, leaving you with dementia-like s […]
- 'Help! My Boys Were Stopped Three Times by Police For Being Outside Unsupervised' March 27, 2015Another mom grows incensed by a parenting culture gone mad, but we have to turn frustration into connection. Recently, I got a letter that made me want to scream: A kid was stopped by the cops for riding his bike on a three-house street! But this exchange ends with … well, you’ll see. I learned something. Maybe we all will.I changed the names to keep the aut […]
- 5 Crooked Drug War Cops Who Outraged Us This Week -- Sticky Fingered Narc Edition March 26, 2015An FBI agent whose heroin habit got the best of him, and more all make the rogues' gallery. Enforcing the drug laws leads to constant temptation for the men and women of law enforcement, and some are not strong enough to resist it. Week in, week out and year in, year out, there's a constant cavalacade of crooked and corrupt cops who seem to have lo […]
- I Was 32 When I Met the Love of My Life—She Was 92 March 27, 2015We both felt like we were in our 20s. I remember the first time we met. I listened to the wheels of her walker rolling down the old carpet of her 1970s redwood bungalow and, moments later, rounding the corner was a spiffy 92-year-old woman who stood up straight, scanned the room like a curious little bunny rabbit, and settled on the new guy: “And you must be […]
- Cop Gets Firsthand Taste of Police Brutality During His Own Violent Arrest March 27, 2015Videotape caught the whole incident. Pittsburgh, PA– A Pennsylvania State Trooper, David Williams, is suing the city of Pittsburgh and four police officers following his own brutal arrest in September. This cop on cop violence was caught on surveillance video.The encounter began at Williams’ brother’s wedding reception where a server alleged that the groom g […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion March 28, 2015The tech company was ready to break ground on a new project but just pulled its plans. read more
- POLL: Even Republicans Say Marriage Equality Hasn't Affected Them March 28, 2015Despite doom-and-gloom predictions, most Floridians don't mind having the freedom to marry. read more
- These Indiana Events Need to Relocate to a New State March 28, 2015It's not just Gen Con and the NCAA. Indiana is home to lots of major events — or at least, it was. read more
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills March 28, 2015Indiana's only the beginning: bills to deny services to LGBTs have appeared in two dozen states under the guise of 'religious freedom.' read more
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People March 28, 2015You can still live a long life with HIV, but it comes with some complications. read more
- Artist Spotlight: Julian Hsiung March 28, 2015Hsiung's take on the beautiful men he sees in Western culture has a ripe, about-to-burst quality. read more
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out March 27, 2015Andrew David White claims he was forcibly ejected from his apartment, after telling one of his roommates that he was attracted to men. read more
- WATCH: To Rand Paul, Marriage Equality Signals 'Moral Crisis' March 27, 2015The Kentucky senator appealed to the far-right-wing of his party during a private prayer breakfast. read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.