Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- "Federal action is needed to ensure that people with criminal convictions are not walled off from the job market." nytimes.com/2015/02/28/opi… 1 month ago
- The constitution could indeed use some updating.. aeon.co/magazine/socie… 1 month ago
- Let 2015 be the year of razor sharp focus, aimed at the stars. 3 months ago
- "Everybody here's been someone else before....Welcome to New York." Who were you in a past life? #TaylorSwiftlifelessons. 4 months ago
- The shocking truth is thousands of workers still rely on public assistance. But this is particularly egregious. salon.com/2014/09/21/pro… 6 months ago
- Bill Paxton Schools Ben Affleck on How to Deal with Slave-Owning Ancestors April 20, 2015Affleck's attempt to erase this uncomfortable part of his family tree echoes America's inability to deal with its racist history. By now, you've likely heard about the leaked Sony emails—a seemingly infinite source of entertainment industry gossip and secrets—that reveal that actor and Oscar-winning director Ben Affleck tried to erase a slave- […]
- 'Mass Disaster': FBI Formally Admits Flawed Hair Analysis Testimony in Hundreds of Cases Spanning Decades April 20, 2015Flawed analysis helped convict hundreds, some of whom were executed. Over the course of more than two decades prior to 2000, most of the examiners in an FBI forensic unit gave flawed testimony in most of the trials in which they offered evidence against criminal defendants, the Washington Post reported Sunday.In 268 trials reviewed so far, 26 of the 28 exami […]
- 'What a Horrible Mother': How a Call from a 'Good Samaritan' Derailed These Mothers' Lives April 20, 2015Busting mothers who leave their kids in the car for a few minutes is a new, scary kind of moral vigilantism. In the moments before the police and county prosecutors and child protective services took over her life, Monique was thinking about dinner. Specifically, she wanted a baked chicken. She had just left a birthday party and was driving home with her two […]
- Which Voting Bloc Is Least Likely to Vote for a Black President? Study Zeroes in April 16, 2015A new analysis of every precinct in America in 2008. It’s no surprise that race is still a big factor in American voting patterns, but there’s new detailed evidence that traces how the election of Barack Obama in 2008 broke down along racial lines in some surprising ways.“Given consecutive elections of Barack Obama to the office of the presidency, it may be […]
- Toni Morrison Lets Loose on Race in America: 'I Want to See a White Man Convicted of Raping a Black Woman' April 20, 2015The great author pulls no punches in a recent interview. The Nobel prize-winning author Toni Morrison has delivered a frank assessment of race relations in America, declaring that until racial disparities in the criminal justice system are resolved, the conversation about racism will never be over.Morrison, who won the Pulitzer prize in 1988 for her novel Be […]
- Support for the Death Penalty at Lowest Point in 40 Years April 20, 2015New Pew study finds decrease in Democrats' support of capital punishment, while Republicans' views remain unchanged. While most Americans still favor the death penalty for those convicted of murder, support for capital punishment is lower than it has been in 40 years, according to the Pew Research Center.Today, 56 percent of Americans favor the dea […]
- The Republican Party's Ridiculous Parade of Phony Libertarians April 16, 2015Politicians like Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul seem to contradict the ideals of libertarianism. In Republican primary politics, the libertarian brand carries cachet, which explains why many of the GOP's presidential candidates are battling to position themselves as the one true standard-bearer of small government conservatism. But a funny thing is happen […]
- Jon Stewart: Why I Quit The Daily Show April 19, 2015Stewart’s decision to retire as host of the satirical news show after 16 years has left liberal America in mourning. There was no one moment when Jon Stewart knew it was time for him to leave what he describes as “the most perfect job in the world”; no epiphany, no flashpoint. “Life,” he says, in the lightly self-mocking tone he uses when talking about himse […]
- Krugman on How to Avert a Complete Catastrophe for Greece and for Europe April 20, 2015Greece is on the brink, but saving it is still possible. Paul Krugman recounts some of his heartbreaking travels around Greece in Monday's column. Years of severe austerity have wrought untold human suffering there. He visited a homeless shelter and heard stories about how the health care system in the country has collapsed. Wages have been cut for thos […]
- Stoned is the Way of the Walk: 24 Classic Reefer Songs for 4/20 April 19, 2015The perfect pot playlist The stoner holiday is upon us, and what better way to enjoy it than to kick back, fire up a fatty, and revel in reefer's rich musical legacy. In honor of 4/20, here are 24 classic songs about pot, in chronological order:1. TRADITIONAL—"La Cucaracha." (1915 approx.) The granddaddy of all narcocorridos, this tune wa […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Right-Wing Group Proposes Antitrans Bathroom Law for California Ballot April 20, 2015The group Is gathering signatures for a ballot measure that would require use of the restroom matching one's 'biological sex.' read more
- Facing the Business World Out of the Closet April 20, 2015In our partnership with StartOut, the nonprofit nurturing LGBT entrepreneurs, we regularly invite the organization to highlight one of their business leaders. This woman's story makes the case for starting anew. read more
- POLL: Nationwide Marriage Equality Inevitable — and Welcome April 20, 2015Respondents to a new USA Today/Suffolk University poll say there's no point in the Supreme Court ruling negatively on the issue. read more
- Scott Walker's Been to Same-Sex Wedding Reception, Still Opposes Marriage Equality April 20, 2015Scott Walker and Marco Rubio are walking a fine line on the issue, while some other Republican presidential hopefuls say they wouldn't attend such an event. read more
- Lack of Competent Providers Leaves Many LGBTs Uninsured & Untreated April 20, 2015Many LGBT people are either uninsured or delay seeking medical treatment, and the reason is simple: a lack of LGBT-friendly health care providers. read more
- WATCH: The Weirdest Antigay Arguments Before SCOTUS April 20, 2015The Supreme Court will have to slog through contradictory arguments, errors, and irrelevant digressions before it hears oral argument in the marriage cases April 28. read more
- Op-ed: New Jersey's Most Antigay Teacher Shouldn't Have Her Job April 20, 2015Scott Lyons lived through Patricia Jannuzzi, Immaculata High School's notoriously homophobic teacher, and he doesn't want one more LGBT student to endure the same lesson. read more
- Op-ed: I Met My Best Friend on Grindr April 20, 2015Many gay men have mastered the art of not letting sex kill a friendship. Thanks, smartphones. read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.