Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- VOICE is another vehicle for xenophobes to criminalize & spread fear amongst immigrants .@BAJItweet .@Fusion fusion.net/ice-just-unvei… 17 hours ago
- .@BAJItweet Trump's orders on the Muslim ban, sanctuary cities, & border wall may be failing but the deportation machine is in full effect. 1 day ago
- @feenoirenyc I did - so crazy! Unfortunately, we had to do this all the time when I worked @BronxDefenders twitter.com/feenoirenyc/st… 1 week ago
- Yes to #JusticeForJuan. But millions of immigrants are @ risk - not just #DREAMERS. Their dreams matter too. theguardian.com/us-news/2017/a… 1 week ago
- Teachers say #buildschoolsnotwalls. huffingtonpost.com/entry/build-sc… 1 week ago
- 6 Reasons Trump and Sessions Are Constitutional Idiots When It Comes to Threatening and Punishing Sanctuary Cities April 26, 2017The White House is throwing threats against the wall, and they’re not sticking. On Tuesday, a federal judge in California issued a nationwide restraining order blocking President Trump’s order that would punish cities and counties offering sanctuary to visa-less immigrants by depriving them of federal law enforcement funds.While the White House ridiculed tha […]
- Noam Chomsky: The Republican Party Is the 'Most Dangerous Organization in World History' April 25, 2017Outlandish? Well, no. "The party is dedicated to racing as rapidly as possible to destruction of organized human life. There is no historical precedent for such a stand." The following is an excerpt from the new book Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power by Noam Chomsky and edited by Peter Hutchiso […]
- Robert Reich: Trump's Latest Tweetstorm Is Grounds for Impeachment April 27, 2017An assault on the federal judiciary is an abuse of the president's constitutional authority. One way dictators take over democracies is by threatening the independence of a nation’s courts. Donald Trump is doing just this. Connect the following dots:1. In January, Trump blasted a federal judge for staying his travel ban. “The opinion of this so-called j […]
- Are American Voters Actually Just Stupid? A New Poll Suggests the Answer May Be 'Yes' April 26, 2017ABC News poll suggests that if we ran the election all over again, Trump would still win—by more. What gives? Are tens of millions of Americans really this stupid? If the findings from a new poll are any indication, then the answer is yes:There’s no honeymoon for Donald Trump in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll but also no regrets: He approaches his 100th […]
- Stephen Colbert Has a Pitch-Perfect Analogy for Trump's Horrifying Tax Plan April 27, 2017"Look at the brackets: It's poor versus middle class, and rich versus nobody, because they win." The Trump administration's tax plan, branded "the biggest tax cut in history", has drawn skeptics from both sides of the aisle. "That plan? Never release Trump's taxes," Stephen Colbert joked on Wednesday's " […]
- Ben Carson Is Proving to Be the Bizarre and Incompetent Secretary of Housing and Urban Development We Expected Him to Be April 26, 2017Nothing like getting thrown out on the street with two kids and a $7.25-per-hour job to give you the tools to achieve the American dream. Since neurosurgeon and former Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson was sworn in as secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development on March 2, we’ve barely heard a peep from him. Is it because he’s adj […]
- White Florida Principal at Majority Black School Told Staff to Put White Students in Same Class April 26, 2017Principal Christine Hoffman is being transferred to a new school. The white principal of a predominantly black elementary school in Florida will be reassigned after instructing teachers to keep white students together in their classes. Parents at the school, who have been protesting with community leaders over the past week, described Christine Hoffman' […]
- Trump’s Tax Plan Could Cost Government $6 Trillion April 26, 2017The cuts "create a gigantic loophole for high-income individuals." President Donald Trump will outline major tax cuts for Americans Wednesday that could take trillions of dollars away from the federal government over the next decade and lump it on to the national debt. The president will be "pretty broad in the principles" of tax reform t […]
- The Serious Dangers of Tampons—And You Have to Pay Taxes on Them as Well April 26, 2017Now that we’re living under a political regime hostile to women's health, there's more risk than ever for those using this essential commodity. Years ago, as a law student, I became so irked about being taxed on tampons and not chapstick that I researched the New York law. That research became the basis for a class action lawsuit filed last year ch […]
- Diane Ravitch Urges Boycott of Standardized Tests, Saying They Do Nothing for Kids But Make Testing Companies Rich April 26, 2017"Defend Your Child. Defend Learning. Opt Out." I am very glad that I attended public school during a time when we seldom, if ever, took a standardized test. On the rare occasion when we did, there were no consequences attached to our test scores. Our teachers saw our scores, but we did not. She or he learned something about how we were progressing […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- #WaybackWednesday: On This Day 23 Years Ago, Outkast Debuted 'Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik'The Atlanta duo forecast Southern hip-hop's future popularity with its 1994 album.
- Viola Davis to Produce True Crime Series on Police Violence in Black Communities TV One's "Two Sides of the Truth" will cover four police shootings.
- FaceApp Removes 'Spark' Filter Following Whitewashing AccusationsThe filter, initially called "Hot," artificially Whitened users' faces.
- These Lawsuits Explain Exactly Why Employees of Color Are Over Fox NewsThe class-action suit alleges that: “On at least two occasions, Slater actually kicked Ms. Douglas in the buttocks as she walked down the hall at Fox’s offices.”
- President Signs Executive Order to Review National Monument DesignationsInterior Secretary Ryan Zinke is expected to submit a final report within 120 days.
- Netflix Acquires Film 'Juanita,' Led by Black and Native StarsAlfre Woodard and Adam Beach will star in an adaptation of Sheila Williams' "Dancing on the Edge of the Roof," which depicts a Black woman's move to Montana in search of a new life.
- Federal Judge Delivers Another Blow to Trump's Immigration PoliciesA federal judge in California has blocked the Trump Administration's efforts to withhold federal funding from self-designated sanctuary cities.
- Washington Post Launches Podcast About Being Mixed Race in AmericaThe five-part series begins May 1.