Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- @BAJItweet @blackimmnetwork The Mass Deportation Of Black Immigrants You Haven’t Heard About thkpr.gs/3801126 via @thinkprogress 2 days ago
- Though I disagree on most issues @tedcruz gave a rousing, politically astute speech. Glad he's not the Republican nominee. 1 week ago
- Proud of @tedcruz. I wouldnt endorse a man who called me a liar, my wife ugly & called my dad a murderer either. 1 week ago
- RT @owasow: Funny how #RNCinCLE speeches emphasize how over century ago GOP helped end slavery & half century ago helped end Jim Crow but l… 1 week ago
- 1st question: are you more of a secretary or a general? Umm how about neither. The world needs transformative leadership. #UNSGcandidates 2 weeks ago
- Poised and Confident, Hillary Clinton's DNC Speech Lays Out a Progressive Agenda July 29, 2016After a week of snubs, their grassroots revolution is acknowledged. Hillary Clinton made history in more ways than one in Philadelphia.By Tuesday, she was the first woman nominated by a major political party. On Wednesday, President Obama wholeheartedly passed her the leadership baton. Before she took the stage Thursday, mainstream media was calling the Demo […]
- Half of Government Aid Recipients Say They've Never Received Government Aid July 28, 2016Self-delusion is a hell of a drug. Maybe you remember back in 2009, when actor Craig T. Nelson went on Glenn Beck’s Fox show to complain about entitlement programs and government handouts.“We are a capitalistic society,” Nelson said, winding up for the pitch. “I’ve been on food stamps and welfare. Anybody help me out? No.”The moment might’ve been hilarious i […]
- Over $100,000: That's How Much Big Finance Rips You Off July 28, 2016New research shows that the average U.S. household loses over $100,000 to destructive activities of bankers and financiers. This post originally appeared on the blog of the Institute for New Economic Thinking.America’s financial system is broken for all but a few at the top; that much is plain. The rest sense that we are stuck on the minus end of some great […]
- If You Never Read a Trump Polling Story Again, Would It Matter? July 28, 2016Do we miss anything by tuning out horserace-style election coverage? The sun rose blood red this morning. Sunlight stained the pine of my bedroom bookshelves a shade of Indian paintbrush. For minutes I just stood there, ambushed by the angled light in the silent room. As the sun crept across the carpet, I knew I was watching—even thought I could feel—the ear […]
- Koch's Latest Propaganda Disaster: Another Academic Sell-Out Sets Off Controversy With Remarks July 28, 2016Charles Koch's incestuous academic network serves only to promote his brand of tax-slashing, regulation-killing economics. Yet another controversy is boiling at a Charles Koch-funded university project to promote an extreme economic agenda, this time at Troy University in Alabama. The libertarian billionaire, who is known for his powerful, conservative […]
- DNC Sends Trump Into Toddler Rage: 'I Wanted to Hit a Couple of Those Speakers so Hard' (Video) July 29, 2016Trump never named Hillary's VP running mate Tim Kaine, but mentioned a “little guy” who said mean things about him. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump told reporters on Thursday that some of the speakers at the Democratic National Convention made his so mad he wanted to “hit” them “so hard.”ABC News reported on the former reality TV star’s o […]
- FLASHBACK: When Millions of Lost Bush White House Emails (From Private Accounts) Triggered a Media Shrug July 28, 2016Millions of missing White House emails that were sought in connection to a congressional investigation. Editor's Note: We're bringing you this article from March 10, 2015, since Hillary's emails are back in the news.Even for a Republican White House that was badly stumbling through George W. Bush's sixth year in office, the revelation on […]
- Donald Trump Is Casting a Dark Shadow Over Voters July 26, 2016His convention was designed to frighten. It was stoked by hate, rancor, loathing, and condemnation. The dark and treacherous skies Donald Trump invoked at the Republican National Convention last week have lifted as Democrats begin their meeting in Philly Monday with a healthy dose of optimism.The Hillary Clinton team sees America differently. They recognize […]
- Erasing Melania's Past: Her Website Gets Scrubbed Amid Reports She Lied About College Degree July 28, 2016The GOP nominee's third wife falsely claimed time and again that she graduated from University in Slovenia. MelaniaTrump.com—which before featured a biography of GOP nominee Donald Trump’s third wife, Melania—now redirects to Trump.com, the real estate mogul’s business website.Melania’s missing website are thought to be tied to allegations that she fudg […]
- Clean Energy Is Booming in Historically Red States—and It's Splitting Conservatives Apart July 25, 2016Deep-red Texas now boasts more wind generating capacity than the next three biggest producers—combined. The Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas just became the new home of the country’s largest rooftop solar installation, a sprawling 26,000-panel array smack dab in the middle of Sin City. The project is just the latest jewel in the crown for Nevada s […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Every Time Hillary Clinton Mentioned People of Color During Her DNC Speech“So let’s put ourselves in the shoes of young Black and Latino men and women who face the effects of systemic racism and are made to feel like their lives are disposable.”
- #TruthToPower: Be Inspired by This Confrontational Art From Banksy, Shepard FaireyCheck out images from a pop-up exhibit mounted during the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia.
- Ruby Bridges, Melissa Harris-Perry Talk Faith and Social Justice at #DemsInPhilly EventThe school desegregation icon joined faith leaders for a wide-ranging discussion about racism, oppression, theology and social movements in Philadelphia today.
- POLL: Latinx Voters Eying Clinton for President A new survey shows a strong preference for the Democratic party’s nominee—and platform—heading into the general election.
- Michael Che to Crying Sanders Supporters: 'You Still Get to Be White!'Che joined his "Weekend Update" co-host Colin Jost for a special report from the Democratic National Convention this week.
- Obama Library to Grace Chicago's South SideThe Obama Presidential Center will take up residence in 44’s old stomping grounds.
- In the Wake of Her Mom's Assassination, Laura Cáceres Hits the DNC With Fervor The daughter of Berta Cáceres, the Honduran Indigenous environmental activst who was killed in March, tells Colorlines that she came to the ever-meddlesome United States to seek justice for her mom, her pueblo and her country.
- North Dakota Access Pipeline Will Cross Tribal Waters Despite Their DisapprovalThe Army Corps of Engineers ignored Native people's objections to the $3.7 billion pipeline.