Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- "Federal action is needed to ensure that people with criminal convictions are not walled off from the job market." nytimes.com/2015/02/28/opi… 3 days ago
- The constitution could indeed use some updating.. aeon.co/magazine/socie… 1 week ago
- Let 2015 be the year of razor sharp focus, aimed at the stars. 2 months ago
- "Everybody here's been someone else before....Welcome to New York." Who were you in a past life? #TaylorSwiftlifelessons. 2 months ago
- The shocking truth is thousands of workers still rely on public assistance. But this is particularly egregious. salon.com/2014/09/21/pro… 5 months ago
- 9 Social Panics That Gripped the Nation, Were Totally False, and Did Horrible Lasting Damage March 3, 2015Americans flip out over the strangest things. The latest in AlterNet's Fear in America series. Editor's note: The following is the latest in a new series of articles on AlterNet called Fear in America that launched this March. Read the introduction to this series here.America is a fearful and gullible nation with a media misinformation machine that […]
- Clear Proof Bill O'Reilly is a Serial Liar About His Past March 3, 2015There's no wiggle room. Fox News' Bill O'Reilly has been under fire following a series of revelations that seem to show he lied about numerous major reporting milestones in his career, from witnessing the murder of nuns in El Salvador to being witness to combat in the Falklands War to personally seeing the suicide of a figure involved in the J […]
- Hey Apocalyptic Christians -- Here's How the World as We Know It Will Probably End March 2, 2015Humankind is well on the way to destroying the world all on its own. High profile anti-religionists like Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins are altogether candid in their disrespect for Christians, and the faith we follow. No doubt Maher and Dawkins hold even less regard for that evangelical subset who believes we are living in the “end times”— a disregard share […]
- Jon Stewart: Congress Gave Netanyahu ‘The Longest Bl*wjob a Jewish Man Has Ever Received’ March 4, 2015The Daily Show host called the Israeli Prime Minister's visit a festival of slights.' Benjamin Netanyahu’s address to Congress yesterday served a dual function: shoring up his close relationship with our Republican leadership and giving him a global platform to demonstrate his political power to Israeli voters two weeks before their national electi […]
- Noam Chomsky: Defeating ISIS Starts with the US Admitting Its Role in Creating This Fundamentalist Monster March 3, 2015It would take remedying the massive damage inflicted on Iraq in order to deal with the turmoil in the region. We air the second part of our two-day interview with Noam Chomsky, the world-renowned political dissident, linguist and author. Chomsky is institute professor emeritus at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he has taught for more than 50 yea […]
- Surveillance Valley: Why Google Is Eager to Align Itself With America's Military Industrial Complex March 1, 2015Is it wise for us to hand over the contents of our private lives to private companies? The following is an excerpt from Yasha Levine's ongoing investigative project, Surveillance Valley, which you can help support on KickStarter.Oakland, California: On February 18, 2014, several hundred privacy, labor, civil rights activists packed Oakland’s city hall.I […]
- Robert Reich: How the Next Democratic Nominee Could Rescue America March 4, 2015We need to take radical steps. It’s seed time for the 2016 presidential elections, when candidates try to figure out what they stand for and will run on. One thing seems reasonably clear. The Democratic nominee for President, whoever she may be, will campaign on reviving the American middle class. As will the Republican nominee — although the Republican nomi […]
- Secular Blogger Was Brutally Murdered for His Beliefs—And the State Will Do Nothing About It March 3, 2015Religious extremists attacked Abhijit Roy and his wife with a meat cleaver in a public square. Evidence at the crime scene. Credit: Arunabha Rahman Anjan, Abhijit's friendA pair of glasses, a pen, blood and brains surround the limp, lifeless form of Abhijit Roy, clad in a red Punjabi. The body of this curious, courageous mind was hacked to pieces and le […]
- Fewer Big U.S. Companies Are Run By Women Than By Guys Named John March 4, 2015Board rooms and the Capitol are great places to be called John. For every woman in a chief executive role in the S&P 1500 firms there are four men named John, Robert, James and William, research has found.The New York Times turned a recent report by Ernst & Young report analysing numbers for board directors into a 'Glass Ceiling Index', whi […]
- Justice Department to Go After Ferguson for Racist Policing, Not for Killing Michael Brown March 2, 2015The DOJ turns to racial targeting and debtor prisons. The U.S. Department of Justice may not pursue charges against Darren Wilson, the white police officer who killed Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., last August.But the DOJ apparently is going after Ferguson’s police for demonstrably racist practices that violate federal civil rights laws, including targeting […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Op-ed: How We're Asking the Supreme Court to End Bi Erasure March 4, 2015A bisexual person is permitted in all states to marry someone of the opposite sex but is still forbidden in 14 states to marry someone of the same sex. read more
- Op-ed: Mom and Dad, I'm Taking Truvada March 4, 2015How a party prompted a man to evaluate his health — and how others talk about HIV. read more
- The Family Tragicomic That Could Change Broadway Forever March 4, 2015The story of the sexual awakening of a young, butch lesbian is the most honest thing Broadway has seen on LGBT lives. read more
- First Contact: Why One Small Conversation Can Be So Crucial For All of Us March 4, 2015A new study shows that even one small conversation makes a huge difference in gaining support for LGBT equality. read more
- Angry Activists Confront Trans Teen in Charlotte Bathroom, As Nondiscrimination Ordinance Fails March 3, 2015Tensions flared in Charlotte, N.C. Monday, as nearly 120 citizens gave passionate speeches for and against an ultimately stymied LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance. read more
- Eric Holder: 'Time Has Come' for Marriage Equality March 3, 2015The attorney general makes a strong case in a USA Today op-ed and says the Justice Department will filed a pro-equality brief with the Supreme Court. read more
- Same-Sex Kiss on ABC Family's 'The Fosters' Could Be The Youngest in TV History March 3, 2015A kiss on Monday night's episode of the ABC Family show The Fosters is making news, but not for the reasons you'd expect. read more
- Queer Ear: All About That Kelly March 3, 2015A weekly compendium of music news for the discerning LGBT listener. read more
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.