Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
- Join @BAJItweet @Das_Alina & @AskAngy tommorrow @MuseumofCityNY for #ActivistNY a convo on the impact of '96 laws. mcny.org/event/undocume… 3 days ago
- RT @DPA_NY: Recognize the parallels of ICE raiding immigrant homes and the ways in which the KKK terrorized black communities. —@carlken #C… 3 days ago
- @DrugPolicyOrg what would you do if you were the new "drug czar?" I say decriminalize and divest! #colorofpain #whitefacesblacklives 3 days ago
- Super excited to speak .@DrugPolicyOrg #whitefacesblacklives #colorofpain in a few minutes. .@BAJItweet represent! 3 days ago
- Black immigrants suffer the repercussions of their blackness and their immigration status. time.com/4531836/black-… #stateofblackimms 4 days ago
- I Went to a Trump Rally Expecting Violence, What I Found Was Quiet Desperation October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065862'; Click here for reuse options! Reality is setting in. A palpable sadness consumed the Newtown, Pennsylvania recreation center Friday night as Donald Trump took to the stage for his final rally of the day. But what was even more shocking than the somber mood of the room was how much the […]
- 5 Right-Wing Outrages This Week: Trump's Insane First 100 Days October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065863'; Click here for reuse options! We learned something about the flavor of the Kool-Aid in the Trump household this week. By the end of the week, the fresh shocks of the most disturbing moments of the third and thankfully final presidential debate were beginning to subside. A madman who is […]
- When the Election Is Over, It Will Not Be Done October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065850'; Click here for reuse options! Republicans will have to deal with struggling, white, working class families that have bought into the Trump vision. They're stoked by bitterness, anger, and the unbearable color of others, and they're buying into Donald Trump's trope that t […]
- Here’s Why Trump’s Male Chauvinism Appeals to Some Voters More than Others October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065852'; Click here for reuse options! Misguided men affected by the wage gap are lining up for Trump like no one else. Even after mounting evidence of Donald Trump’s exploitative and demeaning treatment of women, his standing in the polls still hovers above 40%. On the face of it that’s more t […]
- Salma Hayek Says Trump Planted Fake Gossip About Her When She Wouldn't Date Him October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065861'; Click here for reuse options! As if that was going to win her over. After the election, scientists should dedicate time to studying Donald Trump’s ego, so uniquely fragile and easily destroyed. Case in point #823,798 comes from actress Salma Hayek, who says that after she rebuffed his […]
- Donald Trump, Domestic Terrorist: The Man Who Tried to Kill Democracy—And Why We Had It Coming October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065867'; Click here for reuse options! Yes, Trump is dangerous, but he's not the real problem. A domestic terrorist is trying to destroy America. You can’t say we didn’t have it coming. Our arrogance and grandiosity and paranoia, and even our visionary sense of our own greatness, have brou […]
- Here Are the Bizarre Reasons the FDA Refuses to Say Marijuana Is Medicine October 21, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065813'; Click here for reuse options! It’s far less of a threat to public health than plenty of legal, easily obtained substances. With a handful of states slated to vote on either medical or full marijuana legalization this November, the pressure is on for the federal government to perhaps re […]
- 7 Hilarious Products Donald Trump Inadvertently Inspired for Sex and Entertainment October 19, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065712'; Click here for reuse options! Trump might not make it to the White House, but he's already landed in porn shops and sex stores. This election season has been so exhausting even the Canadians feel bad for us. Last week, our friends north of the border started a social media campaig […]
- Ivanka Trump: Perfect No More October 22, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065868'; Click here for reuse options! Donald Trump's beautiful, accomplished daughter seemed the perfect member of a flawed family. The mask has slipped. The first time I became aware of Ivanka Trump as an adult and not a line item in Donald Trump’s divorce from her mother, Ivana, was thr […]
- E-Carceration: The Problematic World of Being On an Electronic Monitor October 20, 2016var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1065744'; Click here for reuse options! "Like hitting the lottery and losing the ticket. You are still incarcerated, no matter how you look at it.” Maurice spent over 15 years in Illinois state prisons. Before he was released in the spring of 2015, authorities told him he would have to be o […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- In Essay From 2012, Deborah Danner Discusses How Police Treat People With Mental IllnessDanner was killed by an NYPD police officer this week. She writes: "[The mentally ill are] asked to accept less than our natural rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
- NOAA Declares Hurricane Matthew a 1-in-1,000 Year Flood Event Even worse, the last time North Carolina saw a 500-year flood event was less than 20 years ago.
- Activists Sue FBI, DHS for Movement for Black Lives Surveillance Info Color Of Change’s Brandi Collins “It is clear the Department of Homeland Security and FBI are continuing their disturbing legacy of employing secretive surveillance tactics with murky legal parameters to chill The Movement for Black Lives.”
- READ: John Leguizamo Calls on Latinxs to Vote This Election—And Demands Political EqualityThe actor wrote a telling op-ed history lesson—from colonialism to representation in media.
- WATCH: Trailer for 'And Still I Rise' Explores Recent History of Black AmericaHosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the four-hour series aims to uncover how African Americans have changed the world.
- New #VotingWhileBlack Video Highlights Importance of Local Prosecutor Elections“The most powerful person is always the prosecutor, because he’s the only one that can put you in jail.”
- WATCH: Netflix Teases New Barack Obama Biopic, 'Barry'The movie depicts the president as a college student in 1981.
- STUDY: Race Impacts Student Referrals for Gifted, Special EducationStudy author Rachel Fish: “This subjectivity has implications for inequalities in education by race and ethnicity.”