Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Noam Chomsky: Is It Fair to Worry About Trump Staging a False Flag Terrorist Attack? March 25, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1074290'; Click here for reuse options! Chomsky warns of scapegoating vulnerable people: "That can turn out to be very ugly." It's March 2017, and the political process and the media in the U.S. are a depressing mess, on top of an ever-growing pile of issues that are not remotely […]
- What Good Is Ivanka Trump? The President’s Daughter Is More than Complicit—She’s a Chip Off the Old Block March 26, 2017Don't hang your hopes on Ivanka. The idea of Ivanka Trump as a secret liberal operative, embedded and awaiting activation, was always an illusion at odds with the material evidence. On the campaign trail, she was deployed as the genteel good cop to her father’s uncouth—and unashamedly racist and sexist—bad lieutenant. It was an image almost solely built […]
- 'We Are Relearning Democracy': 5 Ways the Anti-Trump Movement Is Energizing Political Action March 26, 2017Indivisible started over drinks in a bar. It now has at least 2 groups in every congressional district in the U.S. When the Women’s March descended on Washington, D.C., the day after the Presidential Inauguration on Jan. 21, 2017, its size wasn’t the only point of contention. Many skeptics wondered what good a march could do, even if collectively it was the […]
- Kochs Bankroll Movement to Rewrite the Constitution March 24, 2017Austerity advocates claim that they need only to convince five of seven targeted states to get on board. A constitutional convention, something thought impossible not long ago, is looking increasingly likely. Under Article V of the U.S. Constitution, if 34 state legislatures “issue a call” for a constitutional convention, Congress must convene one. By some c […]
- One Simple Solution to Reduce America's Lethal Overdose Epidemic March 25, 2017Another type of prescription drug is implicated in thousands of opioid ODs each year. The United States is in the grips of the worst drug overdose crisis ever, with prescription opioids and illicit opiates like heroin killing tens of thousands of people each year, but many of those people aren't dying from opioids alone. Another class of prescription dr […]
- Bill Maher Makes Us Dumber: How Ignorance, Fear and Stupid Pop-Culture Clichés Shape Americans’ View of the Middle East March 26, 2017Americans used to be just ignorant about Muslims and the Middle East. Now we're also fearful, stupid and wrong. Last Sunday was the 14th anniversary of the American invasion of Iraq. Given the outcome of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the milestone passed almost completely without comment among the many who led the charge to Baghdad in 2003. There are soldier […]
- America's Love Affair With Lethal Self-Defense March 24, 2017An interest in gun rights has spread to African American, Jewish, LGBTQ, and other minority communities, but there's a deeper legislative and cultural issue to address. The following is an excerpt from the new book Stand Your Ground: A History of America’s Love Affair with Lethal Self-Defense by Caroline E. Light (Beacon Press, 2017).When Good Citizensh […]
- ‘Special Snowflake’ My Ass: Why Identity Labels Matter March 27, 2017Let’s debunk some myths about identity labels, shall we? I get a warm feeling when I see the word “asexual” in someone’s bio.So when, after scrolling on Facebook for entirely too long the other day, I saw an article on graysexuality, I happily clicked the link. (Graysexuality is an asexual-spectrum orientation that describes people who sometimes experience s […]
- The US-NATO Invasion of Libya Destroyed the Country Beyond All Recognition March 22, 2017var icx_publication_id = 18566; var icx_content_id = '1074252'; Click here for reuse options! Libya is ruled by a patchwork of rival heavily armed gangs that have sown terror in the population. On Friday, March 17, hundreds of Libyans came into Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square. They wanted to make a simple statement: end the rule of militias. Since the NA […]
- ‘Crazy’: Courageous Documentary about Forced Psychiatric Treatment March 26, 2017One message of “Crazy” is that fear makes all of us crazy The issue of control is front and center in Crazy, Lise Zumwalt’s new documentary.“I’ve always been interested in stories where there is a tension between social policy and law and individual rights—and mental illness is a great lens to look at that tension,” says Zumwalt, who has produced, written an […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- New Fellowship Offers Grants for Previously Incarcerated Artists"We firmly believe that formerly incarcerated individuals not only have a right to fully return to society, but can offer innovative solutions to one of the most pressing issues of our time."
- Trump on GOP Health Care Bill: 'We Just Pulled It.'House Republicans pulled their rewrite of the American Health Care Act just minutes before the rescheduled vote. Watch House Speaker Paul Ryan discuss the change live.
- State Department's 'Climate Change' Page Dramatically Altered OnlineThe revision happened within a day of Secretary Rex Tillerson's confirmation.
- Beauty Break: Xenia Rubinos Dances Through NYC in Black Joy Project-Inspired 'L.O.V.E.' VideoRubinos: "This is my ode to Brown and Black joy."
- After 4 Years of Fighting, Palestinian-American Activist Rasmea Odeh Accepts Plea Agreement in Immigration Fraud and Terrorism CaseIn light of the current political climate, Odeh believes that she could not receive a fair trial in her legal battle with the federal government over immigration fraud and terrorism charges.
- ICYMI: Flint Apartment Complex Facing Water Shut-Off and There Are More to ComeThe city will shut off water for up to 18 residences on April 4.
- Officer Who Killed Laquan McDonald Indicted on 16 Additional Charges“In a moment of leniency, [a jury] may decide to convict him of aggravated battery instead.”
- Jay Z and Harvey Weinstein to Bring Trayvon Martin's Story to Film and TVThe duo behind "TIME: The Kalief Browder Story" acquired the rights to two books about Martin, including his parents' recent memoir. They plan to turn them into a narrative film and docuseries.