Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Eleanor Parker Dead: 'Sound Of Music' Actress Dies At 91 December 10, 2013LOS ANGELES (AP) — Eleanor Parker, who was nominated for Academy Awards three times for her portrayals of strong-willed women and played a scheming baroness in "The Sound of Music," has died at 91.Family friend Richard Gale said Parker died Monday morning due to complications from pneumonia. "She passed away peacefully, surrounded by her child […]
- Simply Three Makes 'The Christmas Song' Both Modern And Classical (VIDEO) December 10, 2013It's not unexpected that we get a multitude of submissions sent in to us here at The Huffington Post. What is unexpected, however, is this submission above performed by Simply Three that is simultaneously so modern and classical in its rendition of the iconic tune "The Christmas Song" and that is sure to fill you full of holiday spirit.Click p […]
- Senate Republicans Block More Obama Nominees December 10, 2013BY ALAN FRAM, THE ASSOCIATED PRESSWASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republicans blocked a batch of mostly minor nominations by President Barack Obama late Monday in the aftermath of last month's Democratic move weakening the minority party's traditional ability to block most presidential appointments.The action demonstrated that the GOP was intent on exacti […]
- NSA Spying Has Tech Companies Worried About Their Most Precious Thing December 10, 2013Big technology companies are seeing signs that the public's worries about government spying are a threat to their future profits, analysts say.These concerns haven't started to hit their bottom lines quite yet. But critical international growth, particularly for businesses selling cloud-based products, has become more challenging after the disclosu […]
- Nobel Prize-Winning Writers Say NSA Surveillance Power 'Is Being Systemically Abused' December 10, 2013Some of the world's most famous writers have signed an open appeal against the National Security Agency that says the U.S. government's mass surveillance chills freedom of thought.Nobel laureates Orhan Pamuk, J.M. Coetzee, Elfriede Jelinek, Günter Grass and Tomas Tranströmer are among hundreds of "writers against mass surveillance" worldw […]
- Antarctica Hit Record Cold Temperature So Ridiculously Low It Hurts Just Hearing About It December 10, 2013WASHINGTON (AP) — Feeling chilly? Here's cold comfort: You could be in East Antarctica which new data says set a record for soul-crushing cold.Try 135.8 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. Better yet, don't. That's so cold scientists say it hurts to breathe.Read More...
- Homophobic RNC Committee Member Accuses Gay Colleagues Of Manipulating Health Benefits December 10, 2013WASHINGTON -- An official associated with the Republican National Committee made head-turning comments at a GOP holiday party last week, accusing gay individuals of pushing health care reform because they die earlier in life. Speaking at Berrien County Republican Party Holiday Reception last Thursday, RNC Committee member Dave Agema said that while working w […]
- Aubrey Peters, Teen Hero, 16, Fatally Shot In Indiana Home December 10, 2013NOBLESVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A man was charged with reckless homicide Monday following the fatal shooting of an Indiana teenager hailed as a hero in 2010 when she helped save two children who fell into an icy reservoir.Aubrey Peters, 16, was pronounced dead at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis late Sunday, hours after she was shot in the chest inside a Nobles […]
- New ABC Talker Laura Ingraham Has Antigay Record April 17, 2014Ingraham has often used inflammatory language in discussing LGBT rights, among many other issues. Featured Image: read more
- New Book: Biden Pushed Obama on Marriage Equality April 16, 2014Vice President Joe Biden's marriage equality endorsement in 2012 was no trial balloon, but it forced the president to take a pro-equality stand, says the new book Forcing the Spring. Featured Image: read more
- Ill. Trans Woman Alleges Medical Discrimination, Files Lawsuit April 16, 2014A transgender woman alleges that an Illinois doctor wouldn't treat her after learning about her desire to pursue hormone replacement therapy. Featured Image: read more
- WATCH: Maltese Celebrate Civil Unions, Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Couples April 16, 2014Members of Parliament in the island nation of Malta approved legislation Monday granting same-sex couples the right to enter into a civil union and adopt children together. Featured Image: read more
- WATCH: Guy Dubai International Gay Spy Is Our 007 April 16, 2014In a new webseries, follow Guy Dubai as he solves a murder mystery. Featured Image: read more
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy' April 16, 2014The telecommunications company acknowledged its error, and apologized for sending an email addressed to 'Sissyboy Kelvin Gay Matthews.' Featured Image: read more
- LGBT Video Game Convention GaymerX To Hold Final Conference in July April 16, 2014Organizers say that it is 'certainly not an end to the fight for equality in gaming.' Featured Image: read more
- Brunei Brings Back Death by Stoning April 16, 2014The United Nations is warning Brunei to reverse a law that would allow death by stoning for people found guilty of having gay sex or committing adultery. Featured Image: read more
- Los Rakas Shows Horrors of U.S. Immigration Policy in New Video April 16, 2014Oakland-based hip-hop group Los Rakas released a new album this week called, "El Negrito Dun Dun & Ricardo." It's the fifth album for the bilingual duo, and perhaps their most political work yet. This video for the single "Sueño Americano" takes direct aim at America's broken immigration system. The lyrics are in Spanish, bu […]
- Watch British Muslims Dance to Pharrell's 'Happy' April 16, 2014Happiness has now gone viral thanks to Pharrell's hit song.
- Cleveland Business Mag Admits Diversity Problem April 16, 2014In a January story featuring 2014 predictions from 32 community leaders, Crain's Cleveland Business profiled no African-Americans or Asian-Americans. There was one Latino. And 30 of the 32 leaders whose views were published were men. How do those erasures happen in a city where more than half of the population is black and one third of its businesses ar […]
- Meet the Preacher Behind "Moral Mondays" in NC April 16, 2014It was Moral Mondays that inspired us to start organizing, an African-American teacher from North Carolina told me recently at a national labor conference. Bunking three to a room and skimping on hotel-priced breakfast that morning, she and her colleagues had trekked to Chicago in search of more inspiration and, strategy. I thought of her after reading this […]
- South Korean Ferry Sinks, Nas Documentary, NCAA Athletes Get Food April 16, 2014Here's what I'm reading about this morning: At least four people are dead, and nearly 300 people (mostly students) are missing after a ferry sinks off the coast of South Korea. Residents in eastern Ukraine are preparing for the worst. A man is in custody after a bomb scare at the Boston Marathon yesterday. Obama will announce a $600 million jobs […]
- The Maya Rudolph Show Already Looks Amazing April 16, 2014NBC has set a date to run the pilot for "The Maya Rudolph Show:" May 19 at 10pm EST. The variety show will feature a guest performance by Janelle Monáe, and Raphael Saadiq will serve as bandleader. Rudolph, the daughter of late soul singer Minnie Ripperton, was one of the most popular cast members of "Saturday Night Live" of the past deca […]
- What's a Union For? April 16, 2014Labor unions in the U.S. are at a crossroads and workers of color--particularly women, and immigrants-- figure prominently in how well they move forward. Big labor, now down to representing only about one in every 10 American workers, knows this. But incorporating immigrants and non-union and unemployed workers will also mean addressing their community issue […]
- NYPD Disbands Muslim-Spying Unit April 15, 2014The NYPD announced today that it has disbanded a post-9/11 plainclothes unit used to spy on Muslims in their communities. The Demographics Unit, according to a pay-walled New York Times article, mapped entire neighborhoods and built detailed profiles of where people ate, shopped and prayed. The move is being interpreted as one indication that the NYPD is bac […]