Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed
The U.S. House took historic action on Thursday by voting in favor of a measure that would put an end to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law prohibiting openly gay, lesbian and bisexual Americans from serving in the U.S. military.
Lawmakers approved the amendment, sponsored by Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.), by a 234-194 vote after hours of discussion on whether Congress should repeal the statute.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- 5 Things Parents Need To Stop Saying To Non-Parents September 17, 2014For one example, we’ve got to stop assuming that everyone is going to have kids. First, I should say that I am 100% guilty of all of these. I know this reads as an advice list, but really it’s advice I’m giving myself. The “you” I am addressing in this piece is me…unless it applies to you; then it is you.I ran head-first into this parenting thing, and have g […]
- How Playing Good Christian Housewife Almost Killed Me September 18, 2014Our Christian sect encouraged a mindset in which dad was supreme patriarch. It led to extreme emotional abuse. Vyckie Garrison was once a minor celebrity in the Quiverfull Movement, made famous by TV’s Duggar family. As a devout, Bible-believing Christian and the mother of seven homeschooled children, Garrison spent 16 years, with her husband, publishing a n […]
- 10 Republican Red States That Mooch off Coastal Liberal States September 17, 2014Data shows that these hypocritical GOP-leaning states are likely to be the biggest recipients of federal tax money. One of the most hilarious talking points coming from far-right Republicans and the Tea Party is that when “red states” like Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana are asked to bail out California or Massachusetts, that’s when they will finally beco […]
- Pervs in Texas Can Still Legally Snap Photos Up Women's Skirts, Court Rules September 19, 2014The court threw out a prohibitory “upskirt” photo law, because banning creepshots is “paternalistic." Ensuring that creeps will still be allowed to slip their camera phones under unsuspecting women's skirts, snap photos, then plaster them all over the Internet, Texas' highest criminal court struck down part of a law that would have banned “ups […]
- The Unbelievable Harassment Black Women Face Daily on Twitter September 16, 2014Black women have to contend with sexism in addition to racism. How do they deal? When Feminista Jones wakes up each morning and checks her mentions on Twitter, she is likely to see tweets of the most derogatory and threatening nature. Some users call her a bitch, ho or other offensive names. Feminista estimates that she has blocked more than 500 accounts ove […]
- Bernie Sanders' 1987 Folk Album: White Rap Before It Had a Name September 19, 2014Bernie sings the blues, and more! As Vermont Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders ponders a 2016 presidential run, reporters are digging up all kinds of tidbits from his past. Rumors about Bernie getting kicked out of Vermont communes in the early 1970s—for talking too much—might be hard to confirm. But the state’s astute alt-weekly, SevenDaysVT, has resurrected […]
- Paul Krugman Has Some Truly Shocking News About Climate Change September 19, 2014Hint: It's good. But will deniers and despairers listen? Paul Krugman is seldom cheery, and you almost never hear good news about climate change. Which is why Krugman's Friday column is a pleasant surprise."This just in: Saving the planet would be cheap; it might even be free," the Nobel-prize winning economist announces right off the bat […]
- Are You Eating Comfort Food? Stop! Here's What Really Works September 19, 2014The myth of comfort food is just that—a myth, new study says. People often turn to comfort foods as mood enhancers or stress reducers. But new research shows that these foods have no special psychological benefits whatsoever. And even pushing away from the table might have the same positive mood effects as indulging in a favorite snack.Participants in the Un […]
- Hilarious Morning Clip: Colbert Ridicules Fox News 'Boots on the Ground' Inanity September 19, 2014"It's the kind of in-depth reporting you only get from Fox News, or Zappos." Colbert went to town Thursday night on the whole oft-repeated phrase "boots on the ground" when it comes to the war on Iraq. Obama has repeatedly said that the U.S. will have "no boots on the ground," but Colbert wonders about the 1200 troops that […]
- How Did Being a Public School Teacher Become So Controversial? September 17, 2014A new book by Dana Goldstein offers powerful, historical perspective on our penchant for attacking teachers. Editor’s note: The history of teaching in America is one that is bedeviled with blame. For at least two centuries, we, the public, have engaged in continuing battles over the quality of those individuals who dedicate their lives to educating our child […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Turkey's First Trans Reporter Fired After Alleged Dispute Over Lipstick September 20, 2014Supporters of Michelle Demishevich have begun wearing red lipstick in protest of her termination from Turkey's IMC TV. read more
- Grindr Responds to Reports Egyptian Cops Using App to Ensnare Gay Men September 20, 2014Grindr assures users it is mindful and vigilant about safety concerns, and supports LGBT equality around the globe. read more
- 'Black Trans* Women's Lives Matter' To Hold Vigil in D.C. September 20, 2014Organizers ask: If #BlackLivesMatter, why aren't Black trans women's murders causing national outcry? read more
- BOOKS: Art & Queer Culture September 20, 2014If LGBT visibility is of prime importance for acceptance, then what could be more important than LGBT art? read more
- Vikings Coach Mike Priefer Back At Practice Following Suspension for Homophobic Comments September 20, 2014After a two-game suspension and sensitivity training for his antigay comments, special teams coach Mike Priefer has returned to his post. read more
- Hot Sheet: September 19, 2014 September 19, 2014Our top 10 entertainment and events highlights this week include gays in the military, Faking It, Space Station 76, and How to Get Away With Murder. read more
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly' September 19, 2014Russian singer Julia Volkova says gay men have 'no right to be a fag,' but that women should be able to love whomever they want. read more
- U.S. Census Will Finally Count Gay, Lesbian Families September 19, 2014But the Census Bureau will only consider legally married same-sex couples in its new definition of 'family.' read more
- Weekend Read: Misty Copeland, An Unlikely Ballerina September 19, 2014Settle in this weekend and meet artist, athlete and ballerina Misty Copeland in this gorgeous New Yorker profile by Rivka Galchen. Copeland's artistic and commercial successes make us all feel good--about ballet, about America--and yet that feeling is somewhat tendentious. It is impossible to distill the current role of race in ballet (or in any field) […]
- NYT Critic Defends Racist Profile of Shonda Rhimes September 19, 2014Alessandra Stanley, the television critic for the New York Times, is standing by her profile of Shonda Rhimes even though it's been soundly (and fairly) criticized for its racism. The profile was published online Thursday and will be in the paper's Sunday print edition. The article's lede is this: "When Shonda Rhimes writes her autobiogra […]
- Border Patrol to Police Its Own Deadly Shootings September 19, 2014In response to heated criticism over its officer-involved deadly shootings, Border Patrol will begin criminally investigating its own officers accused of excessive force, Customs and Border Patrol Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske announced Thursday, the Los Angeles Times reported. The agency will also begin trial-testing body-mounted cameras on officers. Both […]
- Group Buys Millions of Student Loan Debt--To Cancel It September 19, 2014Imagine getting a letter in the mail one day, announcing that a portion of your student loans has been cancelled forever. If you don't toss that letter in the junk mail pile, you might find out it's true. That's what happened in Michigan this year to a 32-year-old mother of four and a 24-year-old dental student. On the third anniversary of Occ […]
- Octavia Spencer's 'Scary Bitch' Ads Taken Off L.A. Buses September 19, 2014One way you probably shouldn't advertise a new show starring one of Hollywood's most accomplished black actresses is by pasting her picture up on an ad next to the phrase "scary bitch." But that's just what happened with Octavia Spencer*, who's starring in a new show on FOX called "Red Band Society," which follows a gr […]
- State Rep: Muslims Are 'Cancer That Must Be Cut From American Society' September 19, 2014Oklahoma state Rep. John Bennett made headlines this week for making some of the vilest anti-Muslim comments on record from an elected American official. Dean Obeidallah recounts what happened: On Monday, Bennett held a public forum with more than 100 constituents in a Western Sizzlin' steakhouse in Sallisaw, Oklahoma. There, Bennett provided his suppor […]
- Scotland Stays, Lockdown in Sierra Leone September 19, 2014Here's what I'm reading up on this morning: Scotland voted to stay with the United Kingdom. Sierra Leone has begun a three-day lockdown to try to contain its Ebola outbreak. The virus has killed more than 2,600 people in west Africa. New York Mayor Bill De Blasio defends municipal ID's for undocumented immigrants. Remember Charity Johnson, t […]
- How an East Harlem Bookstore is Getting 1,500 Books to Migrant Kids September 19, 2014By the time 2014 comes to an end, some 90,000 unaccompanied child migrants--mostly from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras--are expected to make their way into the United States. If they're detained at the border, they'll be placed in temporary detention facilities. Then those who aren't deported will be scattered into detention facilities or […]